CONVICTION

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it

Interviews sessions are over---ALL.

It was 1.20pm when I reached IMU. Guess what? I didn't take a cab, nor did I walk to the campus from the Bukit Jalil bus terminal. Instead, I took the LRT. Although it was only one station to the IMU campus, I felt extraordinarily excited because that was my very first time to travel 150 miles away from home. I felt so great...thinking that I'm now a grown-up young lady :)

2.15pm
I was asked to enter the glass room where 2 interviewers were already sitting there. I greeted both of them, shook hand with the man sitting on the left who is an Indian doctor and then the Chinese lady sitting on the right. My heart was throbbing. Not very hard but I could feel its pulse. I told myself to calm down and just be the best.

1st question asked by the doctor : So.... You've heard about IMU? Would you like to tell me your good characters and qualities?
I started talking.
Everything started nice and steady until the lady interviewer started asking questions.
What makes you an IMU student? Why do you want to be a doctor? What do you need to be a doctor?
So I just answered. I told her a doctor needs lots of passion.
She asked, What is passion to you?
And I was like....stunned? I shouldn't have said that.

What is passion to me actually? Passion is love. It's more than love actually.
According to the Merriam Webster's dictionary, passion means the followings :

a : ardent affection : love
b : a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept
c : sexual desire
d : an object of desire or deep interest

But at that moment what should I have said?

To me, a doctor's job is nothing relaxing or full of freedom. It's about sacrifices. But I'm ready for it. In fact I've thought about it for years. Why a doctor? Why a Western doctor? Is that my interest? Really? Do I have passion for healing / caring? How much do I have? And I'd need infinite amount of passion to keep my desire of becoming a successful doctor growing, if not remains as much.
A doctor's job is not like any other profession. It's not a 9 to 5 job. Doctors aren't tied to the desk the whole day. To me a doctor's job is a lifelong stuff. It's like a lifelong learning process because health issues change from time to time. It's always related to a well-being's life. It's not like a business that deals with money. Instead, it deals with so many lives that are non-renewable. It means, when it's gone, it's gone forever. That's what makes a doctor's job so great.

However, very honestly, I really think that being a doctor is wonderful. People don't look up to a businessman or a lawyer. People do look up to a doctor. Well of course it doesn't mean that I care so much about my reputation but it makes a difference to my life, for sure. And I always feel good to help people. Actually people feel good when they help people because people appreciate it. Or it's because people respect them. But I was thinking, if that is my job and people who see me as a doctor, they think that they are getting service from me because they are paying for it so eventually they don't really see me as someone who heals them....and that would be a whole lot of different story. If that were the case, would people feel great to be a doctor? This is extremely important because that would be my future. And if I'm not prepared well, things are going to be a mess.

I don't care. I'm just going to be a doctor because that's my dream. No matter how tough it is I'm going to strike for it. As people often put it, If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

Life's tough. Because it's life :)