CONVICTION

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Clinical Skills Session

Have you wondered how your heartbeat sound like?

I've been so curious till the day I got my own stethoscope and listened to my own pulse. It is truly fantastic. Now every time I feel lifeless or restless, I would listen to my heartbeat and all over energy is regained. 

My stethoscope is Burgundy =)

Today I have clinical skills session and I like it very much. I always like to have css because it's not boring at all and I love practicals much more than theory. So I learnt TPR, handwashing and BP-taking today. Basically, T means temperature taking, P and  R mean taking of pulse rate and respiration rate respectively.

Sister Malathi introduced to us several ways to take the temperature, amongst them are by oral and rectal. We learnt how to read the thermometer in a proper way as well.

After that, we were led to another room to learn Effective Hand Washing. Ooh hooh! Now I know to wash hands properly and effectively requires 6 steps and you might spend more than 3 minutes solely in washing your hands!

Then, we learnt to take blood pressure using the blood pressure monitor which is called the Sphygmomanometer.*PHEW...such a big word! LOL....my blood pressure was 110 over 75 mmHG! For teaching and learning purpose, we were given a special stethoscope which consists of two pairs of earpieces. So that the 'doctor' and the 'patient' are able to listen to the sounds to make sure the student gets it.