CONVICTION

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

1st hospital visit [Nursing week]

Hurray. Yesterday was my first hospital visit to Hospital Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan. It's nursing week therefore we were supposed to tour around the hospital, get to know more about the hospital setting and observe how the nurses carry out their tasks.

Personally I find the trip average. It wasn't as fruitful and as helpful as I expected as the session was so short which lasted only about 2.5 hours. We weren't shown how to wash our hands, wear gloves and so on. One of the sisters brought us around the hospital, and briefed us when we went to have a look at the dialysis centre, the ayurveda treatment centre, female and male wards, paediatric ward and the mortuary. My group was considered lucky as we were allowed to take a look in the mortuary. There were 3 cases on that day.

There were really nothing much in the hospital to describe actually. However, this trip isn't that bad after all. You see, IMU is such a comfortable university where the entire building is air-conditioned, with escalators even though there are only 3 floors and most of the floor is carpeted. Compared to a government hospital, for example, the PD hospital's setting was such a vast difference. I think there is a reason for the trip to the hospital. Because we students tend to *forget, somehow, the real setting and environment of the hospital where we'd be working in the future. This is very important because it reminds us that we would be servants of the community because we serve the community by giving treatments and consultations. And everything would be carried out in the hospital...which means, we must always remember that it is not necessary that we get to work in an air-conditioned comfortable environment like what we are having now in the university.

=)

And...I actually feel sad when I see the patients in the dialysis centre. I always remind myself not to show sympathy BUT empathy. Imagine, there's a Chinese patient who has been doing dialysis for the past 24 years, which, each session lasts for 4 hours and the patient has to undergo 3 sessions in a week. There are a lot of restrictions to the diet as well, like a limit to the amount of fluid they take and so on.

Uhhh huhh...I feel like I am such a NUBIE that there are so many things that I don't know. I need to learn a lot and therefore I shouldn't stop learning!!