CONVICTION

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Mock Formative OSCE

[OSCE] : Objective Structured Clinical Examination
[formative] : ungraded

Today I started off the first day of the week with OSCE, which happened early in the morning. It is the very first time sitting for an OSCE. I thought I might be a little nervous and probably would not mess things up because I had three practices with my peers in the last week. Overall, everything turned out pretty well except there were some minor steps that I forgot to carry out maybe because I was a little excited.

There were only 4 stations, which would be considered as the least and probably the most simple OSCE ever, as regarded by Dr. Jack, the doctor who briefed us before the test. Each station is set up with different situations/scenarios and there were different tasks given for us to perform. And 5 minutes were given for each station in which 4 minutes were for performing the tasks and 1 minute for the examiner to elaborate or comment on what you would have done better or your overall performance.

There were altogether 13 groups for our batch in which each group consisted of 20 students which were then arranged into 4 different clusters with similar tasks. During the exam, the buzzer system was being used. There were different kinds of buzzer styles as indications of the time. For example, a long buzz would indicate that the test starts and the students are supposed to start reading the instructions on the paper which was attached to the wall right at the door of the particular room. After one minute, 2 short buzzes would be heard and students should be entering the room and start performing their tasks after greeting the examiner as well as the SP. 4 minutes later, a short buzz would mean that you have to end the task and the examiner would start giving comments, which would last for 1 minute when a long buzz would be heard again, which means students have to exit the room and start reading instructions for the next station. I find the system pretty impressing because it keeps everyone on time so that everyone is clear of what they should be doing at the particular time.

For me, the four stations included a brief history taking, palpating the apex beat, locating the brachial pulse and the aortic area, the vital signs(TPR), examination of the mouth and hand washing. The worst thing that I've done was that I forgot how to use the thermometer and I guess I struggled there trying to shake the thermometer and look for the temperature. I actually shook the thermometer with my hand holding at the bulb! How silly. I have no idea what I was trying to do at the moment. So I got only a 'PASS' for the station. Besides, at the station where I was supposed to examine the mouth of the patient, I forgot to wash my hands before and after the session. I also forgot that the lips are part of the mouth! Well, this is embarrassing to tell but I really forgot about it totally. So that made me a 'PASS' for it as well. Other than that, I guess I did a pretty good job.

The thing that I'm still figuring out is the minor tasks that we are supposed to perform like hand washing and explaining to the patients about the tasks that you're going to do. Reason being, we only have 4 minutes. Hand washing would easily take up 30 seconds at least, explanation would cost you probably 1 minute. And it would be even worse if you're nervous because you might find yourself struggling what to do first for the series of tasks given.

I think the following practices in CSU, I will need to time myself so that I'd do better in time management.

Overall, I enjoyed the session very much.
I really love CSS much more now!