CONVICTION

If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Anne Frank

Mum found a book, Anne Frank, the diary of a young girl, written by a 13-year-old Jewish girl who was one of the millions of victims during the 2nd world war. The book was introduced by Eleanor Roosevelt (well, I have no idea who he or she is, just for the sake of introducing this very wonderful book) and it was translated from the Dutch by B.M. Mooyaart-Doubleday. Amazingly, this book only costs me RM23.90 which is considered one of the cheapest book I own.

This book is extremely influential. It's most saddening while I read the entry of March 1944, knowing that by March 1945, Anne's dead. I had a feeling like I'm reading her thoughts which remained so matured, so stable and cheerful and optimistic even though she was only 13 at the moment. Being in the hiding for 26 months, it is definitely unbearable for any ordinary people. It is always much more terrible than we can ever imagine. Reading Anne's diary makes me feel so miserable because living such a comfortable life now doesn't make me a better person at all. Anne and her family, and even all the other Jews at the same circumstance surely had lived a much more contented life than I do now. That's why I feel so sorry for myself and for all the victims and survivals of the 2nd world war.

This book is very educational. I've never expected a girl at the age of 13 could write such amazing diary entries, in the sense that she had a very matured thought. Unlike teenagers nowadays who only think about what is so desirable in their lives. Materialism has definitely brought human beings to a low level that we are often ceased to improve our mentality and maturity.

Being able to read this book is really fortunate for me. I've never thought I could be at such a short distance to the real life of a Jewish victim. And this book has brought me so much closer to understanding the happenings during World War II. I am so glad that Mummy has introduced this book to me as it is so wonderful and memorable that I would recommend this book to any person who isn't illiterate. I hope that everyone who has read this book should gain a lot to improve one's life. A girl of 13 has just changed a lot of my life. But I am so glad. And now, I learnt that my life shouldn't be treated as such a boredom because there should be no such thing in this era where we live. I always imagine how we would be criticized and penalized by the victims of World War II should they have seen how we live our lives. We are the victims who are trapped in the walls of our heart, and so we have turned to be so cold to ourselves and every other person. I think one reason people still doing open burning so uncontrolled is that, they still feel cold in their soul despite a high temperature of 39 degrees.